- Must complete an application apply and be accepted to Denmark Technical College.
- Must complete and submit a Nursing admission application by the advertised due date.
- Must have a negative background check through the institution’s provider.
- Must have negative drug screen within thirty days of the application’s posted due date that the student is applying.
- Must meet Accuplacer Next Generation scores: 238 English; 238 Math; 240 Reading (If a student has taken MAT-110, then he/she needs to make a 250 on the Accuplacer Next Generation) (If a student has taken MAT-110, then he/she needs to make a 250 on the Accuplacer NG).
Developmental Less than 40.7%
- Must have Grade Point Average of a 2.50 or higher. (If the student is transferring into the college the most recent transcript’s GPA will be utilized in the selection process).
- Applicants are notified by mail at the address on file with the college of program acceptance or non-acceptance. (NO RESULTS WILL BE DISBURSED VIA TELEPHONE, EMAIL, OR IN PERSON).
CONDITIONS FOR RE-ENTRY TO NURSING PROGRAMS
Re-entry into the nursing program must be requested when a student withdraws for any reason from a nursing course, is unsuccessful in a nursing course, or steps out of the nursing program for a semester or longer. Students are eligible for re-entry into the nursing program one time basis only. Students seeking re-entry, must complete a re-entry checklist, develop a plan for success, meet with their advisor, and meet the required GPA and reading assessment score, as stipulated on the re-entry checklist. All re-entry decisions are contingent on space availability. All health information and background/drug screen, health insurance requirements and cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) must be updated and current
- Submit to the Admissions Office an application for readmission.
- Submit to the nursing department an essay indicating your interest in readmission to the Practical Nursing program one semester prior to the semester the student is to be readmitted (See essay requirements below).
- Follow procedures outlined for admission into the practical nursing program, including the nursing admission packet.
- Possess a GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must have a grade of “C” or better in all courses to receive credit. General Education courses must have been earned within 5 years, unless received a degree.
- Due to the student’s PNR course sequence being interrupted it is a requirement to validate their knowledge and skills as condition for re-entry. This may be accomplished through the following:
- Skills competency validation TI
- Competency testing
- Schedule a meeting with the Dean of Nursing to devise a plan for success approved by both parties.
- Readmission Essay
- Complete and submit the re-entry checklist.
Readmission Essay Requirements
- A brief explanation of the circumstances that led to your course failure or withdrawal.
- Brief descriptions of what you have been doing in your time away from the college (study, work, attending to health concerns, volunteering, etc.).
- An abbreviated plan to manage your course work upon your return. (2 pages)
- A concise plan for self-care upon your return to DTC (required only if you withdrew for health reasons).
- Submit an essay in American Psychological Association. (APA) format.
Readmission is granted only on a space available basis and the student must enroll in the nursing discipline classes being offered at entry and each following semester. A student may request readmission into the nursing program ONE time. In the event of failure following readmission status, the student must wait five years before reapplying for admission into the Denmark Technical College Practical Nursing Program.
- A student admitted to the Practical Nursing Program is required to have Malpractice Insurance for the academic year, to be paid with tuition fees.
- The student must be able to attend all assigned clinical site rotations in the Practical Nursing Program except for hospitalization, court order, or immediate family death.
- Student must have a current CPR and First Aid certificates, which must be maintained throughout the program until completion. Students will not be permitted in the clinical area without an up-to-date certification. Certifications can only be by the American Heart Association for Healthcare professionals. No other certifications will be accepted.
- A student must agree to a criminal background check and to the release of the results to clinical rotation site facilities. Two types of background checks are conducted on the prospective nursing student:
- State Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal Background Check (out of state checks may be subjected to an increased cost.
Results of the background check will determine whether the student will be able to proceed to complete the additional requirements of the practical nursing program. To determine if the student must have one or both types of checks, he/she must first provide proof to verify that he/she has been a resident in South Carolina for the past 12 months.
Required Health Information
- Physical Examination: Student must demonstrate physical health as evidenced by the results of a medical exam, demonstrate emotional health as evidenced by appropriate behavior. A Physical Examination must have been completed within the last three months prior to start of clinical rotation. Physical Exam performed by a healthcare provider (Physician, NP, PA).
- PPD (two-step): Must have been completed in the last three months. Positive results require a chest x-ray and follow up with clearance from a physician. The test must be updated annually (Available through the college’s student health center).
- MMR: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccination-You must submit proof of vaccination. You should have received two doses at least one month apart or laboratory evidence of immunity/titers.
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine: Annual Influenza vaccine
- Coronavirus vaccine and Booster (required by certain clinical rotation sites)
- Hepatitis B Vaccination and Titer: This vaccination is administered in three doses. You must submit proof of completion of this vaccination.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): You must receive the vaccination or titer. If the blood test indicates no antibodies, you must be immunized for Varicella. You must submit proof of immunization/immunity.
- If you have started the vaccination series, please list dates of injections received.
2022-2023 PN CURRICULUM SCHEDULE
The application process for the PN Program is as follows:
1. Apply to Denmark Technical College
2. Take the ASSET placement test Minimum scores for the PN Program application are Math 40, English 40, Reading 45
3. Apply to the Practical Nursing Program
4. Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) ($40.00 paid to the DTC Cashier)
5. Arrange for a criminal background check ($35.00 paid to the DTC Cashier)
6. Take a drug screening
7. Attend a Nursing Information Session
Due to the limited availability of student slots, students must meet additional requirements to be admitted to the Practical Nursing Program. Program admission is academically competitive with admission decisions based on the applicant’s academic preparation, assessment results and clear drug screening and clear criminal background check. Most clinical facilities require several screenings prior to approval for student eligibility for participation in clinical experiences. One is the criminal background check, provided by SLED for S.C. residents and by the FBI for non-S.C. residents. Other screenings, such as drug testing, may be required. Clinical facilities may refuse student participation in clinical experiences if screenings reveal unclear reports. Students must be able to attend all clinical experiences during the academic year to complete course and program requirements.
Selected program applicants are admitted once per year in the fall semester. After acceptance into the PN Program, students are required to attend a Practical Nursing Orientation Session. All Practical Nursing students are covered under Liability Insurance policy and workman’s compensation at time of the registration.