Student Loan Counselor
As a generation struggles with student loan debt, counselors who can help them navigate repayment options are in strong demand. With around 43 million Americans balancing $1.5 trillion in federal student loan debt, a student loan counselor’s work is both meaningful and much needed. In this 100% online course, you will learn to help those with student loan debt work their way to timely repayment. Upon successful completion, you will be prepared to take and pass the Certified Student Loan Counselor exam, offered by the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors (NACCC).
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) anticipates a 4% growth in job demand for Personal Financial Advisors, including student loan counselors, between now and 2029. This matches the overall expected job growth during that period. The BLS notes that credit counselors are expected to be in especially strong demand. Since they work directly and personally with borrowers, their positions are likely to thrive even as technology displaces more traditional financial advisors.
- According to ZipRecruiter.com, the national average salary for student loan counselors is $49,779 per year. The site reports that most make between $28-74,000 annually.
WHAT DO STUDENT LOAN COUNSELORS DO?
According to the NACCC, student loan counselors help relieve the burden of student loan debt by helping borrowers learn how to manage their student loans.
Certified Student Loan Counselors:
- Know various strategies for handling student loans
- Counsel those who are struggling with student debt
- Educate borrowers on options for managing student loan debt
IS CERTIFICATION IMPORTANT FOR STUDENT LOAN COUNSELORS?
Certification by the NACCC signals that you are a trained professional who understands the higher education funding system, including loan requirements. It indicates that you are familiar with the latest trends in legislation that governs student loan policy. NACCC certification is also recognized by several influential employers such as regional workforce development boards, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Disability Institute, and the United Way.
CAN STUDENT LOAN COUNSELORS WORK ANYWHERE?
Although there is not a formal, national license standard for student loan counselors, local or state governments, agencies or employers may have their own requirements. Student loan counselors may work for public or private agencies, financial counseling services or institutions of higher education. Some offer their services to private clients and work from home or remote offices.
- How the federal and private student loan systems work
- Latest in trends and legislation that governs student loans
- Strategies for borrowing, managing and repaying student loans
- Methods for counseling and educating those struggling with student debt
- Enter the job market with a certification recognized by several industries
- e cost efficient
- Understand how to implement technology and automation tools effectively
- Align your goals with those of organization stakeholders
- Lead process improvement initiatives within an AP function
To enroll in this Student Loan Counseling course, you must be an active member of NACCC. To become a member of NACCC, you must hold either the Certified Credit Counselor or Financial Health Counselor designation.
- The Origin and Initial Funding of Higher Education
- Assisting the Student/Borrower Assess, Evaluate and Obtain Funding
- Counseling the Student Borrower
- Assisting the Student Borrower with the Repayment Process
- Student Loan Discharge, Cancellation and Forgiveness Basics
- Default Consequences and Solutions, Ethical Considerations
Bonnie Canty is an attorney licensed in five states: Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, and New York. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from Hofstra School of Law and practices general law through her firm ABC Law, PLLC. She has been hired by several businesses and organizations to train, coach, and consult. Canty currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Society of Financial and Career Counseling Professionals and has been a Certified Financial Counselor for almost two decades.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin at any time.