The application process for the PN Program is as follows:
1. Apply to Denmark Technical College
2. Take the ASSET placement test Minimum scores for the PN Program application are Math 40, English 40, Reading 45
3. Apply to the Practical Nursing Program
4. Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) ($40.00 paid to the DTC Cashier)
5. Arrange for a criminal background check ($35.00 paid to the DTC Cashier)
6. Take a drug screening
7. Attend a Nursing Information Session
Due to the limited availability of student slots, students must meet additional requirements to be admitted to the Practical Nursing Program. Program admission is academically competitive with admission decisions based on the applicant's academic preparation, assessment results and clear drug screening and clear criminal background check. Most clinical facilities require several screenings prior to approval for student eligibility for participation in clinical experiences. One is the criminal background check, provided by SLED for S.C. residents and by the FBI for non-S.C. residents. Other screenings, such as drug testing, may be required. Clinical facilities may refuse student participation in clinical experiences if screenings reveal unclear reports. Students must be able to attend all clinical experiences during the academic year to complete course and program requirements.
Selected program applicants are admitted once per year in the fall semester. After acceptance into the PN Program, students are required to attend a Practical Nursing Orientation Session. All Practical Nursing students are covered under Liability Insurance policy and workman's compensation at time of the registration.
Program Requirements and Information
1. A student must be able to attend all clinical site rotations in the Practical Nursing Program.
2. A student must agree to a criminal background check for the PN Program that will be shared with the affiliated clinical facilities, as required.
3. A student must agree to a drug screening and provide results to the PN Program and the clinical affiliating agencies, as required.
4. Student must demonstrate physical health as evidenced by the results of a medical exam, demonstrate emotional health as evidenced by appropriate behavior and include current status of all required immunizations to enter the program.
5. Students must have tuberculosis testing (with appropriate healthcare follow up as indicated) to enter the program and which must remain current throughout the program.
6. Student must have current CPR and First Aid certificates, which must be maintained throughout the program. Students will not be permitted in the clinical area without current certification. Certifications can only be by the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. No other certifications will be accepted.
7. Student must provide a legal copy of the his/her birth certificate upon entry in the program.
8. Student must adhere to the student guidelines specific to the Practical Nursing Program.