The General Assembly of the State of South Carolina authorized the establishment of Denmark Technical College in 1947 and the College began operation on March 1, 1948, as the Denmark Branch of the South Carolina Trade School System. At its inception, the institution functioned under the authority of the South Carolina Department of Education and was mandated to educate black citizens in various trades.
In 1969, the control of Denmark Area Trade School (Denmark Technical College) was transferred to the South Carolina Advisory Committee for Technical Training which acted under the supervision of the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education. During the same year, the name of the College was changed to Denmark Technical Education Center. In 1979, the institution was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and assumed its present designation as Denmark Technical College. Since 1948, the College has experienced significant growth and now takes pride in the fact that it has become a comprehensive two-year college which offers a broad range of programs and services. The College is located in Denmark, South Carolina, a small city of approximately 5,000 citizens. The campus stands on 53 beautifully landscaped acres of land conveniently located about 50 miles south of Columbia, 85 miles northeast of Charleston, and 50 miles east of Augusta, Georgia.
The College’s primary service area is comprised of Bamberg, Barnwell, and Allendale Counties with a legislated mandate to serve students throughout the state. As an open-door institution, the College provides affordable, post-secondary education culminating in associate degrees, diplomas, or certificates, to citizens from diverse educational and socioeconomic backgrounds.